1. (top) A view of North Head (Yacaaba) from Hawks Nest beach.
2, 3. Views of Tea Gardens (1920s) taken fron the top of the pine tree formerly located at the junction of Marine Drive and Ogden Street.
4. (bottom) The former swimming baths located on the shore near the pine tree.
Tea Gardens - Hawks Nest
The local timber industry underwent a major expansion in the 1860s. As the Tea Gardens land was still to be developed by the A. A. Co., the first saw mills and hotel were built on Crown Land in Hawks Nest. For many years this side of the river contained most of the local population. The first school was built in Hawks Nest and Tea Gardens residents had to send their children by boat across the river to attend lessons. Following the subsequent decline of the timber industry, Tea Gardens overtook Hawks Nest as a residential site and, by the late 1930s, the latter had been reduced to just a few houses.
Despite its increasing population, Tea Gardens remained a very small village for many decades - the two photographs in the centre of this page show the scene in the 1920s, viewed from the top of a pinetree then located at the intersection of Marine Drive and Ogden Street. Photo 2 looks east along the waterfront. At that time there was no formed road, now known as Marine Drive. The Tea Gardens Hotel (since rebuilt) stands alongside one of the landmark fig trees planted along the waterfront by its first owner.
Photo 3 faces south-west from the pine tree. Myall Street running east-west is seen as a narrow gravel track, on the southern side of which there are three houses which are still standing today. The Anglican Church on the left, built in 1910, was deconsecrated in 1998 and now sits alongside a new church opened in 2000. The house in the foreground of the picture has been demolished.
Photo 4 is a view of the former waterfront baths built by Stroud Shire Council in 1936. It replaced a similar older structure. Around the 1950s the piles which formed the enclosure were so weakened that the whole structure was demolished and the town was without a swimming baths until 1982 when the enclosed pool near the bridge was constructed.
|First printed in October 2000.
Copyright © Brian A Engel, Janis Winn
& John Wark, 2001. All rights reserved.